Thursday, May 29, 2008

Time. And space.

Spotted this one almost by accident; was going up Purasavakkam High Road and wondering how badly lost I was when I noticed this clock tower at Doveton. The moment I saw it, I realized I'd always known about this - "Doveton Clock Tower" - though I had mentioned it as Vepery in my earlier post!

Someone told me that the clock tower at Royapettah is now maintained by P.Orr & Sons. This one does not seem to have caught the eye of any such benefactor. Even the board on top of it, saying "Corporation of Chennai" is cracked and has fallen away on three of the four sides. But it still tells you the time!



3 comments:

Viswanathan said...

I remember a school called Doveton Corey(?).

Is it still there?

Shantaram said...

>> Ottayan>> Yes, very much - schools, actually, both Boys' and Girls'.

And I also saw a board that said "Doveton Corrie Schools Alumni".

William Satish said...

Hi Sir,

I am sharing my experience about the clock towers in Chennai. Please read it patiently and share your thoughts.

https://madrasblackandwhite.blogspot.com/2021/12/clock-towers-from-madras-to-chennai.html

Thank You,
William