Friday, August 1, 2008

From floor to ceiling

The first of every month is marked as 'Theme Day' by the City Daily Photo bloggers. The moment the theme for August 2008 was announced, I knew I was going to post about this store on Pondy Bazaar, one of the shopping hot-spots of Chennai.

Even though I have walked into this store several times, I am always amazed by the sheer variety of shapes and sizes of cooking - and storing - vessels that they have on display. You step off the pavement, right into the store and this is the sight that greets you, from floor to ceiling along three walls. In the middle, there are narrow aisles for walking through, and from the ceiling hang various kinds of vessels that have handles. Somewhere just overhead, there is just a small gap, where the stalactites and the stalagmites haven't met - yet.


It seems to me that this is the way it must always have been, from the time Rathna Stores (Firm) opened for business more than 50 years ago. There would have been some change in the alloys: from the traditional cast iron and copper vessels through to aluminium - hindalium, especially - to the stainless steel and carbon steel vessels that are in vogue currently. The Firm has grown to provide you with everything that you would need for the house, including a whole lot of non-metal stuff.

I can't believe that I missed registering for the 'Theme Day'! I knew the theme, I was sure what I was going to post about, but - I just didn't register to participate. That leaves me without the list of the 183 blogs that are participating, so you'll just have to click here to see their thumbnails - or you can just guess the theme for this month!


9 comments:

Jilly said...

So much glass, so much reflection. A lovely image.

And really good of you to post the links considering you missed it this month. Sign up early for September!

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmmm. I wouldn't like to shine all those pots and pans. It could be a scullery maid's nightmare. LOL

Gerald (SK14) said...

that is an awful lot of pots and pans - great post.

Laurie Allee said...

Wow, what an amazing setting! I love this image.

Anonymous said...

ha haa ... metal every where .....

sreesnake said...

Great snap!!

Jazzy said...

wow that's an overwhelming display, very impressive!

Shantaram said...

>> Jilly>> ...ehm...that's all stainless steel - does confuse you when you see your reflection all around! Thanks for stopping!

>> EG Tour Guide>> Haha! Thank you for dropping by!

>> Gerald>> That's how deeply 'metal' hit me! Thank you!

>> Laurie>> Thank you for stopping by - and the comment!!

>> Ram>> Do you know of any other such place in Chennai? :D

>> Sree>> Thanks!

>> Jazzy>> Thanks - I walk around this rather gingerly... can you imagine knocking something over? :)

Hilda said...

Whoa! I think I'd actually get dizzy trying to shop for pots and pans there — all that reflected light on those shiny surfaces!